Why do sycamore maples lose their bark
Maple bark is peeling off: what to do if the tree loses the bark
Maples (Acer) form their own genus within the soap tree family (Sapindaceae). There are 110 to 200 species, depending on the classification. The maple is often confused with plane trees because of the similarity of the leaves. However, shedding the bark of plane trees is a natural process. If, on the other hand, the maple loses its bark, this is often a symptom of serious diseases in the tree that require immediate action. Because this is the only way to have a small chance of saving the tree.
Causes of Bark Flaking
When the maple's bark bursts, it is usually due to frost damage or a disease. Since the latter can also be harmful to human health, you should start looking for the causes immediately.
Although maple trees can withstand temperatures down to minus 40 degrees Celsius, freezing can cause the tree bark to burst. Bald frost occurs when dry cold is combined with intense exposure to the sun. This weather gnaws at the bark until it bursts. To help the tree, take the following measures:
- Smooth out cracks or damaged areas on the bark tissue with a sharp knife and seal with wound closure
- Put a thick layer of damp clay over the exposed cambium
- Protect the wound with black foil until fresh bark has grown back
You can protect the tree with the following preventive measures so that freezing does not damage the tree:
- Place wooden boards around the trunk
- Cover the bark or trunk with reed mats
If, due to the weather, freezing can be ruled out as the cause of the maple bark bursting, then a fungal infection is usually responsible for the damage. The diseases that cause the bark to burst include:
- the soot bark disease
- the maple stem shrimp (fruit tree shrimp)
Soot Bark Disease
The causative agent of soot bark disease is a fungus by name Cryptostroma corticalewhose spores are harmful not only to the maple, but also to humans, since the spores can inflame the alveoli or trigger allergies. The fungal disease often occurs as a result of long and dry summers, which weaken the maple tree.
In the case of soot bark disease, the tree shows the following symptoms at the beginning:
- Deformations of the bark
- withered leaves
- Leaf litter
- Slime flow stains on the maple trunk
- green or blue discolored torn areas
In the further course
- the tree loses its bark over a large area
- black, soot-like coating appears
- Spores color the surroundings, e.g. the plants or the ground under the maple, black
Since the soot-like coating is below the tree bark in the early stages, you should be extremely careful when examining the maple so that you do not become infected with the fungal disease. If you do not have the appropriate protective equipment, it is advisable to have the tree examined by a specialist and to discuss how to proceed.
Maple stem shrimp (fruit tree shrimp)
The fruit tree cancer is caused by the fungus Nectria galligena caused. With this fungal infection, the bark bursts and small, round structures grow out. Below the bark is located
- a white surface in summer
- orange in autumn, spheres the size of a pinhead
In both cases the tree tries to cover the infected areas with bark. In contrast to soot bark disease, maple stem cancer has a small chance of saving the tree if the symptoms are not yet clearly pronounced. The following measures have proven effective:
- Remove affected branches immediately (characteristic: bark bursts and tree loses the first leaves)
- Cut out diseased wood until it is healthy
- Treat the tree with biological fungicides
- Is an oily ground wire bad
- What scriptures in the Bible forbid suicide
- How have airplanes affected travel?
- Can a person eat marijuana seeds
- Can a man fear a man
- Who is currently the most underrated weirdo
- How free is Mulesoft for production
- Was Oscar Wilde a misogynist?
- What do psychopaths think of busty women
- How effective is Odomos against mosquitoes
- Hires ZOHO graduate-experienced people
- What is the formula for natural frequency
- How is New Caledonia
- What are good recipes for almond flour
- What is the chemical structure of sodium
- Know Quora who posted anonymously
- Are tacos your everything
- When and why will humans be extinct
- Can an American be knighted?
- Are sleeping cars comfortable on the train
- Is the little town of Mississippi safe
- Would opiates be legal next after marijuana?
- What makes sacrifice a symbol of love
- What would Maharashtra be without Nashik