Is oil dangerous
Diet: These fats are healthy
Edible fat has a bad reputation: it is suspected of making you fat, clogging blood vessels and causing life-threatening cardiovascular diseases. But not all fats are harmful, some are even vital.
Unsaturated fatty acids: olive oil, rapeseed oil, fish
Humans do not produce healthy unsaturated fatty acids themselves, but take them in through food.
- Monounsaturated fat helps the body utilize fat-soluble vitamins. It's found in foods like olive oil, avocados, nuts, and margarine. The fat in olive oil has a particularly favorable composition: Current studies show that it can even lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Two to three tablespoons of olive oil per day are recommended.
- Polyunsaturated fat is an important part of the cell walls. It is involved in controlling blood pressure, balancing cholesterol levels and regulating inflammation. The ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids is particularly important: while omega-3 fatty acids tend to have anti-inflammatory effects, degradation products of omega-6 fatty acids tend to promote inflammation. To increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in the diet, it makes sense to cook with rapeseed oil and occasionally eat high-fat fish such as salmon, mackerel or herring. Omega-6 fatty acids, on the other hand, should be consumed in moderation, for example in sunflower oil.
Saturated fat: butter, milk, cheese
The large amounts of unhealthy saturated fatty acids enhance the taste of food and thereby increase appetite. They cause the bad LDL cholesterol to rise in the blood - it can promote the development of cardiovascular diseases, vascular calcification, dementia and diabetes. Saturated fat is mainly found in animal products such as butter, lard, cream, sausage, cheese and meat. The nervous system needs saturated fat as a messenger substance. So in moderation, butter, whole milk, and high-fat cheese are good for the body.
Trans fats: candy, chips, fast food
Trans fats are unhealthy. They arise when unsaturated fat is strongly heated or industrially hardened. Trans fat is found in convenience foods, chips, and candy. It has an unfavorable effect on the blood lipid metabolism and can promote cardiovascular diseases.
Cholesterol: Diet and Medicines
New research shows that people react differently to a high-fat diet. The level of cholesterol is therefore primarily a question of genes. Diet can increase or decrease the natural cholesterol level by around 15 percent. If you have too much bad cholesterol in your blood, you can only partially change this through an adapted diet, but in many cases are dependent on cholesterol-lowering medication.
Expensive edible oils are so healthy
Oils made from pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, grape seeds and walnuts can be found in almost every supermarket. How healthy are the expensive oils? And how do you use them in cooking? more
The right cooking oil for every purpose
Rapeseed, olive or sunflower: How do you recognize good cooking oil? And which oil is best for searing meat, steaming vegetables and refining salads? more
Interview partner in the studio:
Dr. Anne Fleck, specialist in internal medicine and rheumatology
Dr. Melanie Hümmelgen, specialist in internal medicine and cardiology
Senior physician in the cardiology department
Rehabilitation Center Hamburg
Martinistraße 66, 20246 Hamburg
Tel. (040) 253 06 30
Prof. Dr. Andreas Pfeiffer, endocrinologist
Head of the Clinical Nutrition Department
DIfE - German Institute for Nutritional Research Potsdam-Rehbrücke
Arthur-Scheunert-Allee 114-116, 14558 Nuthetal
Dr. Matthias Riedl, specialist in internal medicine, diabetology, nutritional medicine
Managing Director and Medical Director medicum Hamburg
Center for Nutritional Medicine, Prevention and Obesity
Berliner Tor location
At Strohshaus 2, 20097 Hamburg
Tel. (040) 807 97 90
This topic in the program:
Visit | 12/20/2016 | 8:15 pm
- Why do stars burn
- Is there a female king
- Mixes vodka and tonic water well
- Mi 3s Prime is well mobile
- Is Coinexx good for 20,000
- What are the main Australian industries
- What is the best accident insurance
- A website is necessary
- What is the best wireless router company
- What is your experience with OpenTalk?
- Can fax printers
- Should India adopt a federal form of government
- Sangria tastes good
- What Cookeville TN is known for
- Can I get UPSC coaching in Ludhiana
- Why are there unsuccessful white countries
- How are the Apple commercials created
- Pvt Ltd company registration in Delhi
- What is the hiring process of Capegemini
- How competitive is the French Ligue 1
- Which are some underrated Hindi singers
- Will changes dilute the RTI law?
- What are some precautionary measures for demolishing walls
- Would you go out with a foreigner