Is the cactus edible for animals?

Orchids and Co. - Paws off! These plants are poisonous to pets

It is in the truest sense of the word: Countless plants store toxins in their leaves, twigs or roots in order to protect themselves from predators. Most plants are harmless to us humans, at most they become dangerous if we have swallowed (larger) parts of them. For dogs and cats, however, some of the “green stuff” with which we decorate gardens and apartments is pure poison. Especially in puppies or small kittens who nibble on plants out of curiosity or while playing or dig them up in the bed and thus come into contact with poisonous plants, severe symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, paralysis and dangerous collapse can occur.

Beware of stings and poison

But how can animal lovers protect their four-legged friends? By doing without certain flower arrangements in the apartment. This includes the cyclamen, in which the tuber in particular is highly poisonous. If eaten in higher doses, it can lead to respiratory paralysis in animals. The convertible rose should also be banned from the four walls: Consuming the blue-black berries in particular can lead to bloody diarrhea, constipation and movement disorders in dogs and cats. The yucca is popular as a room ornament, but is also highly toxic for cats and other animals: it can cause severe irritation of the mucous membranes. Temporary loss of vision can occur when pet eyes come into contact with the latex of the Christ thorn. Other symptoms that can occur after consuming the plant are irritation of the stomach lining, stomach discomfort or colic.

If a dog eats a poisonous plant, it can have devastating consequences. Source: Photo: Fotolia

Since cats especially like to drink from vases, flower pots and their coasters, the animal welfare organization Tasso advises caution and the use of planters. If the water is enriched with fertilizer or if it comes from dangerous plants, cats can ingest toxins when drinking from coasters, for example. It can also be fatal for cats if they sharpen their claws on the rubber tree: The sap of the Ficus species contains resin, rubber and furocoumarins and can cause diarrhea and irritation of the mucous membranes. The statistically most common poisoning in cats comes from orchids and lily-like plants. The bulbs of the belladonna and the beautiful lily are considered to be particularly poisonous: If they are nibbled, it can not only lead to serious gastrointestinal problems, but also to circulatory disorders up to and including collapse.

There is also a risk of injury from cacti and other prickly plants, warn the Tasso experts: "Young cats and dogs in particular want to sniff and feel everything up close." That is why such plants should be kept out of reach.

Dogs and cats should keep their paws off these plants

Tulips, daffodils and lily-like plants can be found in many gardens - but dog and cat owners should better avoid them.