Why doesn't Netflix offer streaming in HD?
10 important questions about Netflix in Germany
Series junkies and film fans cannot avoid it: Netflix has also been available in Germany since September 2014. We give newbies answers to ten of the most pressing questions. What does the streaming service offer, what does the subscription cost and how much data runs through the line per video stream?
1. What does Netflix cost in Germany?
In order to watch unlimited films and series on Netflix, you need to take out a subscription. The flat rate can be canceled monthly and is divided into three packages:
- Base: For € 7.99 per month you can access films and series in SD resolution. You can only watch one program at a time.
- Default: For 12.99 euros per month there is HD resolution and you can stream different films or series on two devices at the same time.
- Premium: For 17.99 euros per month, you can even watch programs on up to four devices at the same time. This option also enables streaming in Ultra HD resolution, HDR and Dolby Atmos sound, if available. You can also use Dolby Vision on compatible devices.
Note: Netflix had already raised subscription prices in April 2019. The price for the standard subscription rose from 10.99 to 11.99 euros, the premium subscription rose from 13.99 to 15.99 euros. The price for the basic subscription remained unchanged.
After April 2019, Netflix will increase prices again in January 2021. It applies to the Standard and Premium packages, which are 1 or 2 euros more expensive per month. Basic users continue to receive the price of 7.99 euros. The prices apply to new and existing customers, the latter should receive further information by email.
Users who are unsure whether the monthly expenses are worthwhile for them could also test Netflix for free until mid-August 2020. However, Netflix no longer offers the free trial month in Germany and thus follows Disney +.
2. How can I pay for the Netflix subscription?
With a Netflix subscription, monthly subscription fees are due. You can pay for this with a credit card, PayPal account or by direct debit from your account. A subscription via iTunes or Google Play is also possible. The amount is debited monthly on the day you originally registered.
Alternatively, Netflix offers gift cards in Germany. These can be found, for example, at Amazon, GameStop, Rewe, Penny or Rossmann.
3. What devices does Netflix run on?
Netflix can be received on the PC or the television, but also on tablets and smartphones. The mobile apps are available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone.
Netflix comes to the television via a smart TV app. This works with devices from Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Philips, Sony, Sharp, Grundig and Toshiba, for example. But you can also watch Netflix on the TV via AppleTV, Google Chromecast, Android TV and Amazon Fire TV as well as some Blu-ray players and the game consoles Playstation 3 to 5, Xbox 360 to Series, Wii and Wii U. You can find an extensive list of supported devices on Netflix. The Nintendo Switch is still not officially supported.
4. What films and series does Netflix offer?
Netflix promises thousands of films and series on its website. Without an account, however, you cannot find out exactly what these are. If you want to get an overview of the program or the new additions to the Netflix catalog in advance, you can get helpful tips from us.
You can read about the latest series and films this month in our article Netflix: New Films and Series. A long-term overview of planned series starts and Netflix in-house productions can be found in our article Netflix: Start dates for new series and originals. Our Netflix Top 10 for Germany provides the currently most popular series and films. There is also an overview of which films and series Netflix is streaming in Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision (HDR).
5. Are there movies and series on Netflix in their original version?
Yes. In addition to the German dubbed version, Netflix also offers the original language for most foreign films and series. This can be easily selected in the player and can also be changed while watching. In addition, there are subtitles for many programs that can be displayed. You can set more languages for Netflix with one trick.
Practical: the download function also supports multiple audio tracks. So you can change the language of audio and subtitles even for downloaded films and series.
6. Does Netflix advertise?
No. There is generally no advertising on Netflix. You can enjoy all films and series without commercial breaks. In the meantime, however, Netflix had experimented with advertising between series episodes. As a test, trailers for Netflix films or series were shown to users on a small scale. However, following negative feedback, the feature was not rolled out any further.
7. Can you download films and series?
Yes, thanks to the download function introduced at the end of 2016, selected Netflix films and series can be viewed offline. This works in the current Netflix apps for Android and iOS.
Warning: Netflix does not have download rights for all films and series. The corresponding download button is therefore only displayed for compatible content.
8. How much data volume does Netflix use?
Even if Netflix is particularly suitable for LAN and WLAN, the service can of course also be used in the cellular network. Due to the limited data volume with most cellular phone contracts, it is of course good to know how much data the stream is consuming. According to Netflix, one hour of streaming in standard quality requires around 1 GB of data, one hour of HD streaming uses 3 GB, with Ultra HD it would even be 7 GB per hour.
However, you can also regulate data consumption in your user account. At the lowest setting, only 0.3 GB per hour run through the line. This is of course at the expense of the video quality. In addition, according to Netflix, it can take several hours for the settings to be applied and for the data rate to actually change.
9. How fast does the Internet connection need to be for Netflix?
Netflix states that the required download speed for the stream is 0.5 Mbit per second. For better video quality, however, higher speeds are necessary. For standard definition, Netflix recommends a download speed of 3 Mbit per second, for HD quality 5 Mbit and for Ultra HD 25 Mbit per second. With fast.com, Netflix offers its own speed test with which you can test your line.
10. How can I cancel Netflix?
Customers who want to cancel their Netflix subscription have an exemplary, easy life. Simply log into Netflix, open the account settings and select the option "Cancel membership". Alternatively, you can go directly to the website netflix.com/CancelPlan. Here you confirm with "Complete cancellation" - done!
After cancellation, you can continue to use Netflix until the current billing cycle ends. You will be shown the relevant date when you cancel.
By the way: If you want to return to Netflix later, Netflix will save your title history for 10 months. For example, you can see your series progress when you reactivate your account.
Amazon launches TV streaming offer
Amazon Prime Instant Video in the test
- What is optimal evolution
- Why is Goa rich
- Have prosecutors ever deliberately charged too much?
- Why do people like to work at night
- What is the most expensive leather
- Yup is a word in a dictionary
- What were Dean Martin's best songs
- What is the MATLAB Neural Network Toolbox
- Halsey was raped as a child
- Should we glorify dead artists
- How does gender relate to globalization?
- What people think of Bhutan
- What are the essential parts of a contract
- How to write simple Quora questions
- Which is the best source of potassium
- Use the Voip Business Service for business calls
- Are polygamy and monogamy genetic
- What is the spin of fermions
- Begonias come back every year
- How distinctive are top orchestras
- How do I find a sneaker supplier
- What is graphic
- Is oil actually sent in barrels
- Which is better Postfix or Exim