Is someone from Pink Floyd dead?
Died : Pink Floyd co-founder Richard Wright is dead
London Richard Wright, one of the founders of the legendary British rock group Pink Floyd, is dead. The 65-year-old died of cancer on Monday, his spokesman said. Songwriter and keyboardist Wright left the rock band as a permanent member in 1981, but later rejoined. The London-born musician was involved in the famous albums "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here", among others. "It is with great sadness that Richard Wright's family announces that Richard died today after a brief battle with cancer," said the spokesman.
Never in focus
The band Pink Floyd released their first record "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" in 1967 and incorporated new sound effects into it. Wright played alongside lead guitarist Syd Barrett and musicians Roger Waters and Nick Mason. Wright had met Waters and Mason at an architecture school. The drug addict and scandalous Barrett was soon replaced by David Gilmoure. Waters later became the leading figure. Although Wright was initially perceived as the dominant member of the group, he never achieved star status like Barrett or Waters.
More than 200 million records sold
Wright - who taught himself to play the piano - wrote essential songs like "Us and Them" or "The Great Gig In The Sky", and he often appeared as a background singer. In 1978 he released his first own record "Wet Dream" with less success. After arguments with Roger Waters, Wright left the band after the recordings for the hit album "The Wall". In 1984 the duo founded Zee with the musician Dave Harris - but the commercial success failed to materialize. Finally, after Waters left, he found a permanent place at Pink Floyd again and worked on the album "The Division Bell" (1994), among other things.
For the first time since their separation in 1981, Pink Floyd performed together again at the "Live 8" concert in London's Hyde Park in 2005 - but the once divided band rejected a comeback. Pink Floyd sold more than 200 million records worldwide. One of their most famous albums is "The Wall", for which there is also a film. (yr / dpa)
- Is CNG an environmentally friendly gas
- What is King Crimson's best live album
- What are the qualities of the winners
- Where can I have my tablet repaired?
- Why does skateboarding seem so cool
- Has Princess Diana ever met Freddy Mercury?
- Did Bill Gates ever use Linux
- What sounds really disgusting wears you down
- What does the phrase to pamper myself mean?
- What makes some websites addicting
- Fitness apps are useful
- How does TeamViewer recognize commercial use
- How can I get higher quality linkbacks
- Which is better NYC or Philly
- Why did you choose UW Madison
- Can a court order be changed?
- Cleartrip is an Indian company
- What can you learn from Scientology
- What is the rating of Thrillist
- What do finance professionals do
- What is the difference between classification and organization
- Who is the lead singer of Poison
- Why do metals have a strong electrostatic force
- Energy and matter are finite