Why does bromine discolor water
Author: Hans Lohninger
Bromine water, Br2(aq), is an orange-brown solution of elemental bromine in water. Bromine dissolves in water with a maximum of 0.2 mol / l, the solution reacts slightly acidic, as there is a disproportionation of bromine in hydrogen bromide and hypobromous acid:
Br2 + H2O HBr + HBrO
Since this reaction is accelerated by light, bromine water must be stored in dark or opaque bottles.
To make bromine water, you fill a bottle halfway with distilled water and let the bromine vapor from a bottle with elemental (liquid) bromine flow into the half-empty bottle (bromine vapor is heavier than air). After shaking the water, the bromine vapor dissolves and the solution takes on an orange to brown color. To increase the concentration, you can repeat the transfer of the bromine vapor. By repeating it three times, an approximately 0.1 molar solution is obtained.
Bromine water is used in analysis for the quick and easy detection of C-C multiple bonds. If you shake bromine water with the substance to be tested (assuming that the substance is liquid), the bromine water quickly becomes discolored if at least one C-C double bond is present. The discoloration is due to the electrophilic addition of bromine to the double bond; the resulting dibromine compound is usually colorless.
- Why is Acura more expensive than Honda
- How can I communicate perfectly in English
- How honest are you 1
- Can I touch my aunt's navel?
- How far is 12 weeks pregnant
- What are the top perl based websites
- What is a module function
- My father cheats on me
- Is tiredness real?
- Why does gravitational force not attract lizards
- How important and effective is personal branding
- Why are Drake's songs so catchy
- What is the black money bill
- The legalization of cryptocurrencies contradicts decentralization
- Will Snapchat be the next Facebook
- Wasps die after they sting
- Why do we sweat less in winter?
- Magnetism is a quantum phenomenon
- How is the type of blood determined
- What is lifecycle marketing
- How will net neutrality affect America?
- Postage stamps expire
- What is a compelling language
- How is chemistry used in biochemistry